“Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, nor let the rich man glory in his riches; but let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. for in these I delight,” says the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24, NKJV
I pause when I hear someone say they love me and they only know very little about me. Wait until you see how grumpy I am in the morning, how I constantly doubt myself, how I am totally clumsy, how easily I get lost, or how I have an opinion for everything. If you love me after you truly get to know the real me, then I believe you.
Similarly, you can’t say you love God until you get to know Him. The more you understand Him, the more your love and appreciation for Him deepens.
Here are some things I have learned about Him:
- He gets mad, but He doesn’t stay mad (see Isaiah 57:16).
- He’s not surprised by our sin or that we don’t have it all together (see Psalm 103:14).
- He loves to have a relationship with us (see Zephaniah 3:17).
- He loves it when we treat people right no matter how they treat us (see Luke 6:27).
- He is loving, patient and long suffering, but He won’t wait forever (see Genesis 6:3)
- He cares about every detail of our lives (see 1 Peter 5:7).
- He never forces us to do anything. He always gives us a choice (see Deuteronomy 30:19).
- When He corrects us, it’s because He loves us. It never feels good, but it affirms that we are His daughters (see Hebrews 12:5-12).
God wants to reveal more of Himself to all of His children so our love for Him can grow. Keep walking with Him, studying His Word, practicing His presence in prayer, and doing what He tells you, and you’ll learn things about His character that you never knew.
Prayer: Father God I love you more everyday. You amaze me. Thank you for showing me your ways and helping me get to know you better. I humble myself and I ask you to enrich me. Show me your love at every angle and help me learn just how much you love me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.