“Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And whatever else you do, develop good judgment” (Proverbs 4:7, NLT).
Here’s a practical list of things I’ve learned through the years, and am still learning, that has blessed my marriage a great deal. How do you keep a good man?
1. Realize that you don’t have to stress over trying to keep a good man, because a good man will be faithful no matter what.
2. Love him unconditionally.
3. Look him in the eyes often and remind him of who he is in Christ, and why you love him.
4. Pray for him according to the Word of God.
5. Keep growing in your own personal relationship with the Lord.
6. Be patient with his growth and give him room to make mistakes.
7. Don’t nag him to open up and share his feelings. He’ll open up when he’s ready, and when he does, LISTEN without interrupting.
8. Get excited about what he gets excited about.
9. Make a very big deal out of every one of his accomplishments. Post it on Facebook, call up people and share how proud you are of him.
10. Take care of yourself and your health.
11. Smile and show that you’re happy to see him when he walks through the door.
12. Don’t bring up old issues that have been forgiven.
13. Ask God to show you how to love him the way he needs to be loved.
14. Be determined to help him fulfill his God-given purpose, even moreso than your own.
15. Know that you will be a jungle gym during the day with the kids and a jungle gym at night with him, and be ok with that.
16. Don’t make a big deal out of small issues. This usually shows that you are really upset about something much deeper.
17. Know the influence you have as a wife and don’t use it to get your way.
18. Take NOTHING he says personally if he is tired or hungry.
19. Show respect towards his family, particularly his mother. If you have to bite your tongue till it bleeds, don’t ever say anything offensive to her.
20 . Be open to learning new things about him. Don’t think you have him all figured out.
Prayer: Father God, I thank You for giving me wisdom that I can apply in marriage. I pray for my husband (or my future husband) that You will bless him with a deeper knowledge of You and Your love. Help him to be the man You’ve called him to be and help me to be the wife You’ve called me to be. I receive Your grace to be the wife he needs. Be glorified in our relationship. In Jesus’ name, Amen.