“But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.” Matthew 6:15, New Living Translation
The place God has called you to, you can’t allow yourself to hold on to unforgiveness and hatred in your heart.
Here is what unforgiveness can do to you if you allow it:
- It makes you look old before your time, taking years away from your life.
- It gives the other person control over you.
- It consumes your thoughts so that you can’t hear when God is speaking to you.
- It blocks the flow of God’s anointing.
- It opens the door for the enemy to attack other areas in your life.
- It causes God to be unable to forgive you of your sins.
- It teaches your children how to be unforgiving too.
- It hinders your spiritual progress.
- It makes you the victim rather than the victor.
- It sets you up to falter and need forgiveness for yourself.
Is it then worth it to hold onto anything that’s been done to you? No, it’s not worth it. You may say, I “can’t forgive her, I can’t forgive him, I can’t forgive them.” And you’re right, you can’t. It is through Christ that you can do all things, including forgive. God wouldn’t tell you to forgive and not supply the strength and grace to do so.
Here is what forgiveness will do if you choose to allow it:
- It makes you look more youthful and vibrant, adding years to your life.
- It totally releases the other person’s control over you.
- It will refocus your mind so you can hear when God is speaking to you.
- It causes God’s anointing to flow freely.
- It opens the door for God to bless every area of your life.
- It causes God to be able to forgive you of your sin.
- It teaches your children to be forgiving
- It propels you forward into God’s purpose for your life.
- It makes you the victor rather than the victim.
- It sets you up to be blessed and to be a great blessing.
Forgiveness is not just for the other person, it’s for you. Once you have forgiven them, now you must confront the negative emotions that are still there. To help with this, you must pray for them daily. It is very difficult to continue to feel angry with someone you pray for daily. Prayer will give God room to create in you a clean heart and renew a right spirit within you. It will also help you see the root of their behavior and give you spiritual understanding.
Prayer: Father God I need you. I need your help with this area. I am hurting from what someone did to me, but I know how you feel about unforgiveness. I receive your help right now to release every offense in my heart. I release it Lord and I choose to let it go. Forgive me for holding on to it. I pray you bless them and help them to see how much you love them. In Jesus name, Amen.
(See 1 Peter 4:8; Matthew 5:7; Psalm 32:1,2)